A good dentist for children is in tune with the needs of young children who may have dental anxieties and reservations about going in for checkups. When you pick a dentist for your child you should look for one that has a caring, gentle touch and an understanding nature. Learn what you should consider when you’re looking for a pediatric dentist to treat and care for your child’s teeth.
Dentistry for Children
Children have a different set of dental needs compared to adults. Their teeth are more susceptible to damage and infection (cavities). Here are some of the dental treatments that are usually suggested for young children:
- Cavity fillings and regular cavity checks.
- Dental sealants.
- Fluoride treatments.
- Orthodontics for pre-teens and older.
- Dental bonding to fix cracks and chips in teeth from roughhousing or sports.
- Crowns to reinforce damaged baby teeth.
- Space maintainers to prevent the teeth from shifting while waiting for permanent teeth.
- Mouthguards for children who participate in school sports.
Finding the Ideal Dentist for Your Child
When you’re looking for a quality kid’s dentist for your child, keep these things in mind:
- Is the dentist available after school hours for appointments?
- Is the dentist available for dental emergencies?
- What treatments are available?
- Is your child’s dental insurance accepted?
Motivating Your Child to Care About Dental Health
There are simple things that you can do to motivate your child to care about his or her dental health. One idea is to go to the dentist yourself to be treated with your child there. Children learn and become more comfortable by watching you. Another suggestion is to brush your teeth and floss with your child each morning and at night before bed. Ask your kid’s dentist for literature that will help you have productive conversations about dental health with your daughter or son.
Visit a Children's Dentist Soon
A commitment to good dental health should start early. Teach your child the importance of going to a caring and gentle dentist regularly. At Sarkisian Dental in Deerborn, MI, you can relax knowing that you’re getting both.
Dr. Sarkisian and his staff are dedicated to providing comfortable and convenient care to you and your family. Give us a call today for questions or appointment scheduling.